The Lancet Public Health is looking for a full-time, in-house Senior Editor to join the editorial team in our London office.
The Lancet Public Health is a monthly online only gold open access journal, committed to publishing high-quality original Research Articles, Reviews, Editorials, Comments, and Correspondence that contribute to advancing health equity, public health practice and policy making worldwide.
The key responsibilities of the role are to help oversee submissions, quality peer review, commissioning, and writing, along with other editorial aspects of producing an academic journal. Some foreign travel is anticipated.
Main Activities and Responsibilities:
- Overall responsibility for arranging peer review, commissioning content and the timely production of a set number of articles a year, linked Comments and Correspondence and commission Comment content, as necessary.
- Developing and maintaining links with the international public health community, and scanning the current literature to aid in the identification of suitable material and authors for the journal
- Attendance at conferences and other events, to represent the journal, to identify suitable topics and Authors and to keep up to date with current developments in public health
- Writing editorials
- Sub-editing material from all sections of the journal to improve clarity of expression, and to conform to journal style
- Suggesting and helping to develop new initiatives for the further development of the journal
- Other duties as may be necessary from time to time (e.g. covering for other team members during holiday and sickness absences)
- Interpersonal skills
- Ability to work in a team and to keep strict deadlines
- Negotiation skills with members of the medical profession, the media, and other editors
- General knowledge and technical skills
- Knowledge of medical sciences
- Good use of English
- Writing skills
- Familiarity with IT systems
- A PhD (in a relevant subject)
- Some editorial experience is an advantage